As women, we have many parts or identities that define us.
What we have integrated into these definitions of ourselves is the outcome of many factors that come along with growing up and living in our modern day society. As adults, redefining one part of ourselves, our sexuality, can be confusing and scary. It is not uncommon to feel frightened to consider new possibilities, and possibly depressed if you are unwilling to. Beginning to question how it is that you arrived where you are can also bring up anxiety that may interfere with your day to day functioning.
As you consider becoming more attuned to your sexual self, it may be helpful to know that recent research has presented the concept of sexual fluidity for women, meaning that sexual attractions, behaviors and identity may be more open-ended then once believed.
- Have you struggled with the difference between who you feel you are and what people expect of you?
- Have you felt the longing to connect with other women in deep, intimate ways?
- Are you hiding your true self because you are afraid of what your family and friends will say?
- Are you overwhelmed with the possibility of changing your life structure and feel paralyzed as to how to move forward?
- Are you experiencing anxiety and/or depression as a result of not being connected to your authentic self?
How counseling and therapy can help women around questioning sexuality and identity.
In individual therapy, I use a client-centered and collaborative approach. As our work together begins, I listen as you teach me about yourself, and how you have come to define yourself as a woman in today’s world. I will learn about many parts of you, including your struggles, your strengths, and your vision for your future. My accepting stance will create a therapeutic relationship that will allow you to feel safe enough to foster exploration and curiosity as well as healing and growth . Together we will come to understand where your fears may have created holding patterns, and to negotiate the ongoing need for these patterns.
Individual therapy can help you to see the choices you have, opening up the possibility of letting go of some beliefs and gaining new ones. At your pace, with a mindful approach, you will begin to integrate these into your new, more “authentically you” identity. I will guide you and together we can take this journey….
Counseling in nyc for women struggling with their sexuality and identity, questioning sexuality, coming out.